Raw Vegan Strawberry Cake (the best recipe I’ve ever posted):
Today was beautiful and sunny - the perfect day to pick strawberries at a near-by farm. Unfortunately, it’s the end of strawberry season but we were still just in time to get the last batch and for a phenomenal deal. I’ve been waiting to try out this recipe (from the “Raw Desserts” book by Erica Palmcrantz Aziz and Irmela Lilja I got for my birthday) until I was able to get my hands on some local strawberries and so I was super excited to finally try this out! It turned out amazingly delicious.
This cake will make at least five servings - but it’s so dense/filling that I think it could offer up to 8 or 9 nice slices.
3 cups of almonds
5 tbsp raw honey
3 tbsp olive oil
pinch of salt
3 bananas, mashed
2 cups of fresh strawberries, sliced
1 cup cashews
1 cup water
drop of vanilla (or 1/2 vanilla pod)
1 pear, cut into pieces
1 tbsp honey or agave nectar or 4 dates (I used dates)
1-2 cups of fresh strawberries, whole or sliced
1. First prepare the cashew cream topping by mixing the cashews in a food processor until they turn into cashew flour (very fine). Then, dilute the flour with water and continue mixing. Add the vanilla, pear, and agave, honey, or dates and mix or blend well. Set aside in a separate medium-sized bowl.
2. Prepare the cake mix by grinding almonds in a food processor until they become a fine flour. Add honey, oil, and salt, and continue to mix.
3. Press half of the cake mixture into a round cake dish.
4. In a separate bowl, mash the bananas and combine with strawberries for the filling. Add half of the fruit mixture on top of the first layer of cake.
5. Follow with half of the remaining cake bottom dough. Then add the rest of the banana-strawberry filling on top.
6. Set the last of the cake dough on top of the filling.
7. Cover the entire cake with the cashew cream that was set aside.
8. Garnish with fresh strawberries!